The Application Engineer will perform a variety of tasks related to addressing our customer’s application of the B&R automation platform (an ABB company):
- Develop and document control application designs
- Program automation applications
- Develop and execute formal test plans and scripts
- Troubleshoot and resolve application issues
- Track and report project status
- Resolve technical problems at customer locations
- Review automation application needs and document requirements
- Estimate implementation effort to develop automation applications
- Create project plans
- Bachelor's degree (BS) from a top tier four-year college or university in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE), Mechanical Engineering (ME), or equivalent work experience.
- Application development experience in a high-level language, preferably C/C++ or equivalent
- Willingness to climb flights of stairs daily.
- Willing and able to lift 50 LBS when necessary.
- Work locally out of our Cedar Rapids, Iowa office.
Additional Preferred Experience and Interests:
- Motion control systems
- IEC 61131 programming languages (ladder diagram, structured text)
- Real-time operating systems and programming in real-time environments
- Interest in PC- and PLC-hardware applications, mechanical and electrical systems and physics
- Excellent communication skills and strong customer-service ethics
- Desire to work in an international team environment
- Creativity and ability to make decisions
- Project management
Travel is approximately 25%. This includes short notice service trips within the US and Canada, generally in the region (3-5 day duration). The frequency of service trips will vary with specific need. We are working to improve remote service capabilities to limit travel requirements. In addition, some travel will be required for occasional training. A passport is required.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.